Posted by: Thomas on Sep 30, 2011
ITAL SIGNS TO PLANET MU
Hello. Next year sees the release of 'Ital' a.k.a. Daniel Martin McCormick's debut for Planet Mu. Daniel has recorded EPs for the esteemed Not Not Fun record label and it's offshoot 100% Silk as well as playing and singing in the cult band Mi Ami, who are on Thrill Jockey Records. The record is called 'Hive Mind' and on it Daniel uses audacity to "chew" samples and loops, creating a malleable, sticky, engaging sound environment aiming to stretch time and pay homage to techno inspirations without copying them.
Tropics 'Parodia Flare’ is now out on LP/CD mp3 and WAV formats.
Tropics is Chris Ward, a young British producer and multi-instrumentalist who came to our attention last year when we released his first single ‘ Soft Vision’’; his early unreleased tracks and remixes were being given attention from the likes of Pitchfork and others, so we knew we were onto something special.
Since then he’s released two singles and the synth-pop of his early tracks has evolved into a more substantial and personal sound on this, his debut album. ‘Parodia Flare’ features Chris as a multi-instrumental auteur, playing drums, guitar, and a range of synths and electronic boxes, as well as singing on these songs.
You can catch Tropics live on the following dates:
30th Sept Pop Southampton, UK
16th Oct Binnacle Festival London, UK
19th Oct Buffalo Bar Cardiff, UK
20th Oct Sneaky Petes Edinburgh, UK
21st Oct The Arches Glasgow, UK
22nd Oct Start The Bus Bristol, UK
28th Oct Electric Brixton London, UK
Nov 5th The Hague Holland, NL
Nov 22nd Bodega Social Nottingham, UK
Nov 25th Viral Radio Amsterdam, NL
Dec 1st Rhythm Factory London, UK
Dec 2nd Rome, IT
We are also pleased to announce a few new releases. First the debut LP from Kuedo.
All of us at Planet Mu are really excited about this release so much so we have decided to release the album on our first ever Planet Mu limited edition CASSETTE
On his debut long-player ‘Severant’, Jamie Teasdale a.k.a. Kuedo has made an album of dreamlike music, loaded with his own preoccupations with futurism and escapism, that's very different from his previous output as one half of Vex’d.
Secondly we have a great footwork release from Chicago's almighty ‘Ghettoteknitianz’ crew.
The Ghettoteknitianz are a formidable clique of footwork DJs who count ‘Rashad’ and ‘Spinn’ (who have previously released EPs on Mu) among their members, as well as veterans such as Traxman, Gant-Man and younger producers like DJ Manny and DJ Earl.
This incredible EP runs a gamut of styles that make clear the connections with house music's past, while pushing things forward into the future in a way that hasn't really been done this clearly in a footwork release before.
To promote the release DJ Rashad and DJ Spinn will be on tour in Europe throughout October.
13/10/2011 Thursday UK Liverpool @ Rollercity
14/10/2011 Friday UK London @ Bussey Building
15/10/2011 Saturday Poland Krakow @ Unsound Festival
16/10/2011 Sunday Germany Hamburg @ Pudel Club
17/10/2011 Monday available contact email@example.com
18/10/2011 Tuesday available contact firstname.lastname@example.org
19/10/2011 Wednesday available contact email@example.com
20/10/2011 Thursday Netherlands Den Haag @ 330live
21/10/2011 Friday Germany Berlin @ Horst
22/10/2011 Saturday France Paris @ Nouveau Casino
23/10/2011 Sunday available contact firstname.lastname@example.org
24/10/2011 Monday available contact email@example.com
25/10/2011 Tuesday available contact firstname.lastname@example.org
26/10/2011 Wednesday available contact email@example.com
27/10/2011 Thursday available contact firstname.lastname@example.org
28/10/2011 Friday available contact email@example.com
29/10/2011 Saturday Ireland Dublin @ Kennedys Bar
Last year Planet Mu released 'Bangs & Works Vol.1'. It was a carefully curated, first of its kind compilation of Chicago footwork, a style of music which is possibly some of the most genuinely future-facing, innovative new electronic music on the planet. Since the release of that album the attention paid to this little known local scene has increased drastically, so much so that we were able tour DJs Rashad and Spinn plus footwork dancers in the UK and Europe. What's more the music has been adapted for different uses by people outside Chicago, and has influenced new productions not only by Planet Mu artists such as Machinedrum and Kuedo, but by many others as well.
'Bangs & Works Vol.2' brings the focus back onto Chicago's own producers, showing where the real innovation in the scene still lies. The album attempts to show different sides of footwork to Volume 1. Where the first compilation showed off some of the more hallucinatory and leftfield elements, this cd has a wider remit, covering mad techno-style tracks such as DJ Metro's 'Tekno Bangz' or DJ T-Why’s immense ‘Juice’ and ‘Finished’, to tracks that sound like Musique Concrete gone footwork, like Young Smoke’s 'Space Muzik Part 3' or tracks built around long forgotten europop songs, soul and hip hop. Tracks like Traxman’s 'Funky Block' and DJ Clent’s 'DJ Clent #1' display the obvious influence of flipping samples, Hip hop style to the rhythms of footwork, while DJ Rashad and Gant-Man’s amazing 'Heaven Sent' shows the influence of P-funk and Detroit’s hi-tech soul. Boylan’s ‘Bullet Proof Soul’ is a tender track of pitched-up and looped soul, giving the album a moment of strange, gentle ambience.
The album features established producers who’ve come up through the juke and ghetto house scenes such as Rashad, Spinn, Traxman, Roc, Clent and the pioneer of footwork RP Boo, all of whom featured on the last CD, as well as younger producers, who are still making their way. DJ Solo, now a popular R&B producer in Chicago, who pioneered the slowing down and speeding up of samples in footwork is one of the older producers not covered in the first comp, as is Flight Muzik’s DJ Metro whose grimey tracks here are culled from a slightly earlier period.
Of the younger producers not featured on the first compilation, there is the talented Jlin who builds all her tracks from sound sources she’s made herself; Young Smoke, a teenage producer who is also part of Flight Musik and has a very unique and impressive refinement to his productions; DJ MC, whose track ‘Y Fall' has an entrancing minimalism and DJ Rome, an older producer whose 'Showtime' is like a fevered hallucination of pitched horn samples. On Bangs & Works 2, the synapse snapping intensity of footwork is ever present, but this selection shows a widening diversity of approaches to the genre's independent and unique sense of production focus. The music becomes even more impressive and beguiling as you're drawn in.
10/10/11 V/A - Ghettoteknitianz E.P 12"/WAV/MP3 1
7/10/11 Kuedo - Severant LP/WAV/MP3 (LP includes free digital download code)
07/11/11 V/A - Bangs & Works Vol.2 3LP/CD/WAV/MP3 (3LP includes free digital download code)
Tropics - Parodia Flare LP/CD/WAV/MP3 (LP includes free digital download code)
Pritch & Trim - Stereotype 12"/WAV/MP3
DJ Diamond Flight Muzik 2LP/WAV/MP3 (2LP includes free digital download code)
Machinedrum - Rooms 2LP/CD/WAV/MP3 (2LP includes free digital download code)
Tropics - Mouves E.P 12"/WAV/MP3
Kuedo - Videowave E.P 12"/WAV/MP3
Vezelay - Lyre E.P 12"/WAV/MP3
Machinedrum - Sacred Frequency 12"/WAV/MP3
Anti G - Presents 'Kentje'sz Beatsz' 2LP/CD/WAV/MP3 (2LP includes free digital download code)
Chrissy Murderbot - Womens Studies 2LP/CD/WAV/MP3 (2LP includes free digital download code)
Nasty Nasty - No Names 12"/WAV/MP3
Venetian Snares - Cubist Reggae 12"/WAV/MP3
Boxcutter - The Dissolve LP/CD/WAV/MP3 (LP includes free digital download code)
Chrissy Murderbot - Bussin Down 12"/WAV/MP3
FaltyDL - You Stand Uncertain 2LP/CD/WAV/MP3 (2LP includes free digital download code)
Boxcutter - Allele 12"/WAV/MP3
DJ Spinn - Man I Do It 12"/WAV/MP3
V/A - 14 Tracks From Planet Mu CD/MP3/WAV
V/A - Bangs & Works Vol.1 3LP/CD/WAV/MP3 (3LP includes free digital download code)
Our Artist Live Dates:
Sep 29, 2011 - FaltyDL at Roseland Ballroom NY with Radiohead
Sep 30, 2011 - Frog Pocket at Kavka (Antwerp)
Sep 30, 2011 - Machinedrum + NastyNasty San Francisco CA 1015
Sep 30, 2011 - Chevron at The Star of Kings. 126 York Road, Kings Cross. London. N1 OAX (London)
Sep 30, 2011 - Tropics at Pop Southampton, UK
Oct 05, 2011 - Machinedrum at Calgary AB, HiFi Club
Oct 06, 2011 - FaltyDL Pittsburgh with Four Tet and Battles
Oct 08, 2011 - Machinedrum at Gothic Theatre (Englewood, Denver, Colorado)
Oct 16, 2011 - Tropics at Binnacle Festival London, UK
Oct 19, 2011 - Tropics at Buffalo Bar Cardiff, UK
Oct 20, 2011 - Tropics at Sneaky Petes Edinburgh, UK
Oct 21, 2011 - Tropics at The Arches Glasgow, UK
Oct 22, 2011 - Tropics at Start The Bus Bristol, UK
Oct 28, 2011 - Tropics at Electric Brixton London, UK
Oct 30, 2011 - Frog Pocket at Peacock Visual Arts gallery (Aberdeen)
For a limited time we will be doing FREE U.K postage on all records & C.D's at www.planet.mu
- Apr 14, 2015: HUGE PLANET MU 20TH ANNIVERSARY SALE
- Apr 8, 2015: JEGA RETURNS WITH EXTROPY
- Mar 24, 2015: Jlin - Unknown Tongues video
- Mar 18, 2015: Drew Lustman - Watch A Man Die
- Dec 1, 2014: Mr. Mitch 'Don't Leave' video
- Sep 23, 2014: Venetian Snares + Boxcutter + The Doubtful Guest + Chevron
- Sep 22, 2014:
- Jun 18, 2014: Traxman - Ever And Always
- Apr 29, 2014: DJ Rashad 1979 - 2014
- Apr 28, 2014: Heterotic - Lumber (ft. Vezelay)
- Feb 21, 2014: Heterotic 'Rain' ft. Vezelay video
- Oct 6, 2013: MISTY CONDITIONS DANK VIDEO
- Oct 6, 2013: Miracle - Mercury video
- Sep 17, 2013: John Wizards Limpop & Friend Live videos
- Jul 31, 2013: John Wizards Lusaka By Night Live Video
- Jul 24, 2013: John Wizards Lusaka By Night Video
- Jun 27, 2013: June News µ-Ziq, Fabric, John Wizards
- Apr 23, 2013: London 25th May 2013
- Apr 23, 2013: April News Solar Bears, RP Boo, µ-Ziq
- Feb 26, 2013: February news
- Dec 17, 2012: December News, end of year charts & New Muziq LP
- Nov 30, 2012: Independent label market London
- Nov 13, 2012: November: Ital, Ital Tek & 2013 signings
- Sep 20, 2012: Planet Mu September news
- Jul 9, 2012: Rudi Zygadlo Melpomene
- Jun 21, 2012: Kuedo. Work, Live & Sleep In Collapsing Space
- Jun 12, 2012: June News Polysick, Kuedo, Rudi Zygadlo, Konx-Om-Pax
- Apr 9, 2012: April News
- Mar 6, 2012: February News
- Dec 12, 2011: END OF YEAR CHARTS
- Nov 23, 2011: November News
- Sep 30, 2011: September News
- Aug 1, 2011: July News
- Jun 16, 2011: June News
- Jun 3, 2011: Cubist Reggae now Shipping
- May 30, 2011: May news 2011
- May 9, 2011: New Merchandise + Murderbot
- May 2, 2011: 7/5/11
- Apr 28, 2011: Village Underground Footwork Showcase 29/4/11
- Apr 18, 2011: Party Time
- Apr 8, 2011: Bussin Down Shipping
- Mar 28, 2011: Party time
- Mar 22, 2011: FaltyDl 'You Stand Uncertain' Shipping this week
- Mar 7, 2011: Boxcutter Allele Now Shipping
- Mar 3, 2011: DJ SPINN E.P NOW SHIPPING
- Feb 17, 2011: Speed Dealer Moms Now Shipping
- Jan 16, 2011: Welcome to the First Planet Mu Update of 2011
- Dec 20, 2010: Solar Bears In-Store Rough Trade 19.1.11
- Nov 25, 2010: Speed Dealer Moms Delay
- Oct 4, 2010: Soft Vision + Itz Not Rite + Race Against Time
- Sep 24, 2010: Bangs & Works Vol.1
- Sep 20, 2010: SOLAR BEARS
- Sep 3, 2010: Da Trak Genious
- Aug 19, 2010: Now Being Shipped
- Jul 28, 2010: Introducing some NEW SIGNINGS
- Jul 22, 2010: Just Arrived + New Release dates
- Jun 9, 2010: Mu Editions
- May 13, 2010: Rudi Zygadlo Great Western Laymen Now Shipping
- May 5, 2010: NEW ARTISTS SIGN TO PLANET MU
- Apr 19, 2010: Starkey Ear Drums And Black Holes Out Today
- Mar 24, 2010: The Internal Tulips CD and LP in stock
- Mar 18, 2010: Paypal
- Mar 16, 2010: Starkey Stars Video
- Mar 11, 2010: SWINDLE - AIRMILES E.P!
- Mar 3, 2010: STARKEY'S "STARS" NOW AVAILABLE
- Mar 1, 2010: STARKEY STARS SHIPPING THIS WEEK
- Feb 10, 2010: Welcome to our Mu site
- Feb 9, 2010: Starfox Video
- Jan 20, 2010: New in store
- Jan 19, 2010: Coming Soon
- Oct 21, 2009: Roland TB-303 Competition
- Oct 7, 2009: October News
- Sep 8, 2009: September News
- Jul 27, 2009: August news
- Jul 23, 2009: Mu School
- Jul 8, 2009: Wild Angels coming soon...
- Jun 22, 2009: June/July '09
- May 18, 2009: More News !!!!!!!!
- Apr 16, 2009: Filth Competition !!!
- Apr 14, 2009: Pictures
- Feb 18, 2009: Planet Mu party: FILTH!
- Jan 19, 2009: Planet Mu + HighRise Clothing Collaboration
- Jan 15, 2009: Neil Landstrumm £20 to get home VIDEO
- Jan 7, 2009: Tim Exile's new album announced on Planet Mu/Warp
- Dec 12, 2008: Planet Mu in Clash
- Nov 27, 2008: Neil Landstrumm Lord for £39!
- Nov 24, 2008: Starkey Ephemeral Exhibits OUT NOW!
- Nov 20, 2008: Distance Repercussions Out Now
- Oct 20, 2008: SICK PAY OUT NOW!
- Oct 6, 2008: Discography Updates
- Aug 15, 2008: 27 Sept. 08: Planet Mu + Tippex!
- Aug 14, 2008: My First Week
- Aug 12, 2008: New Employee
- Aug 7, 2008: Sunken Foal
- Jul 11, 2008: Eero Johannes
- Jun 16, 2008: The Gasman- Superlife
- Jun 16, 2008: Planet Mu moves to Broadstairs
- Apr 30, 2008: Plan µ
- Apr 29, 2008: 2OO+
- Apr 11, 2008: 5 new releases uploaded
- Apr 3, 2008: Detrimentalist!
- Mar 20, 2008: The Future
- Mar 19, 2008: Meat Beat Manifesto
- Mar 12, 2008: 2OO+ Party
- Jan 24, 2008: Bang Up To Date Fresh Live Electronics
- Dec 19, 2007: 2OO / 10 Tons Heavy Review in the Wire
- Dec 11, 2007: The true meaning of 'Xmas'
- Nov 29, 2007: Xmas!
- Nov 26, 2007: Cuts
- Nov 5, 2007: New Website
- Oct 25, 2007: New Header!
- Aug 30, 2007: News
- Feb 10, 2007: Hello London
- Aug 23, 2006: New releases